Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Four-Hour Chef

The 4-Hour ChefThe 4-Hour Chef by Timothy Ferriss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have learned that whenever Tim Ferriss swoops in on his flying thingamajig, it's best to climb aboard, because we're in for a wild, unpredictable, and unforgettable ride. This book is thus far the pinnacle!

Some of the more negative reviews seem to hinge on the fact that this is not, in the purest sense, a cookbook. He goes over many recipes and techniques, but this is a book about learning, using the medium of cooking and food preparation as the means to that end. I love the very Tim reassurance near the beginning, promising that we'll take many side-trips so the cooking parts won't get boring. He does not disappoint: we learn how to build a fire with a bow and piece of twine, how to build a shelter against cold, how to memorize any list of numbers, and much more.

His love of learning is contagious. I started off being more than slightly irritated by Tim when I read 4-Hour-Workweek. I'm not in his demographic of what I would guess is 18-35 year old males, so it took a bit of exposure to develop a taste for his way of looking at the world. He's matured well and his self-deprecating tone goes a long way to deflecting some of the brilliance that otherwise blinds. Put simply, he's a lot of fun to read. You'll learn about things you wouldn't have thought about otherwise, and have a few laughs in the process. I'd recommend this for anyone with a passing interest in food.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment