Saturday, January 5, 2013

Speaking Spanish Like A NativeSpeaking Spanish Like A Native by Brad Kim
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I would love to be able to review this book and state that it was instrumentally helpful in improving my conversational Spanish, but I can't do that, primarily because of the structure of the book.

The content is oddly organized, alphabetized by English meaning and not cross-referenced in Spanish anywhere. I read a colloquialism in a magazine a day after finishing the book, remembered having seen it, and was not able by the index, table of contents, or otherwise to locate the Spanish phrase in the book-- I would have already had to have known the English, and therefore not needed the book.

It's unclear how the author intended the reader to assimilate the information. The contact-paper binding and strange editing point to the book being self- or small-house published; it really could have benefited from editorial expertise and having someone knowledgeable in language instruction publication to help re-work the material into something usable.

There are many, many phrases, sayings, colorful expressions, and so forth presented here, but only in quippy paragraphy form introduced by the English equivalent. I will keep this book for a while hoping to find a way to use it, but for being able to comprehend what a Spanish speaker or writer is saying, this is not the resource.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment