Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wellness



Wellness.  I like the word so much that it's sort of my theme word for this year.   For me, it encompasses a balance of health in mind, body, and spirit.  Some people make wellness a lifestyle; I need to have it as the background or wallpaper of a well-lived life.  Without it, all else is jarring and with it, we can get on with things.

The picture up there is the Moleskine Wellness Journal.  I was browsing at the bookstore a few weeks back and this caught my eye on the sale table, probably from Resolutions Time at the beginning of the year -- no time like the present, I thought, leafing through its well-designed yet still very interpretable pages.  I hesitated, thinking that this would be one-more-thing to have to keep up with, but I bought it anyway.  This small book has the potential to be a pilot station for tracking what I am doing right and not-right with my health.

Most intriguing to me are the inspiration pages.  I'll fill these with photos, cutout pictures, quotes, and anything else I can turn to when I feel like I can't make good choices.

I'll be writing about Thomas Jefferson soon.  We visited him last weekend on his birthday, April 13, at Monticello and the next day at his retreat in Poplar Forest.  He is in many ways my soulmate for all time, and among the many quirks we share, he had a compulsion to write everything down.  Knowing that this cements action for me, too, this little self-made guidebook will be an invaluable tool in restoring and tracking my personal health and wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment