Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I can do better

Viburnum carlesii in bloom.  Best scented plant on our planet.
This isn't a tedious self-flagellatory blog post where I scold myself for letting several months go by without an update.  On the contrary, I've been very busy and faithfully kept up with Google +, Twitter, and Daily Challenge.  I've made great progress on this year's resolutions!

The weight, though.  Man, oh man.  It is not in my self-image to be anything other than fit and healthy.  I've reached the age where good health is no longer a happy accident, and over the past couple of years, I've been rather horrified to watch my metabolism noticeably slow down.  I used to be able to have a certain percentage of my diet in treats without any consequence, and that is now no longer the case:  sugar or fried food of any kind cause instant water retention while they're being inefficiently processed into fat.

I've decided to track my food a bit better than in the past, so that I can pinpoint exactly what is going on here.  I joined Lose It! to do online/mobile food recording; it's the old food diary gone digital so that my sad math skills can be bypassed with a slick interface that calculates how I'm doing.  I need to look further in the food choices, but in the past, I've been disappointed with these programs because I make it a point to NOT eat processed foods, and these databanks seem to have mainly culled their information from the backs of boxes and bags.  How does one log a complex recipe with several dozen ingredients, all freshly chopped and sprinkled with a healthy bit of this and that?  It's my hope that the program doesn't make this sort of healthy eating frustrating.

Anyway,  all of this is to say that I am still here.  I don't like the pinky-cutie design of this blog, so I will be exploring some other styles that are more visually pleasing for me -- this will look a bit different soon.

We're on Spring Break here, busy-busy, but I will make some time to get back into the introspective swing of things.  It's important.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment