Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Well, hello!

Here I go again with writing a blog! I used to write MyDailyMail until my midlife crisis three years ago, and among many things I discovered about myself, I learned that it's really hard for me not to write. It was fun a few years back to be part of the outfit-a-day community and to share bits of my life with other bloggers.

Then my husband lost his career job in the 2009 economic upheaval, I had some serious health issues, and I more or less dropped my basket as far as normal life was concerned. Fortunately, I kept my wits about me enough to cushion the blow for my two dear children, who did not realize that much, if anything, was wrong, except for that Daddy was home all the time. Eventually, he found an OK job (health insurance again) and then a pretty good job, and then a second international job. I worked part-time while the children were in grade school and morning preschool so we could supplement our income. I left that position earlier this year to take a Spanish class, in order to get a better social work job when I decide to re-enter the job market. Where we live, Spanish is an important second language, and I've enjoyed learning it this past semester. I miss going to work, but the job was well beneath my skill set, and I was able to pinpoint what I need to be marketable after almost a decade out of the social work scene.

I'm healthy now, but I'm north of 40 as of this year -- so my focus on health has changed from barely noticeable to "time to step it up." 2012 is going to see a lot of changes for me: I need to lose a good 15 pounds by improving my diet, I'd like to get comfortable speaking my second language, we have a lot of work to do on the house, and my daughter will start kindergarten, giving me a green light to use some daytime hours to go back to my career.

I have a lot to look forward to in 2012, and sharing some of it with you is part of that. I am delighted to be writing again. This blog will be sort of awful at first, but bear with me as I learn the Blogger platform again, and we'll be off and running in no time.

Oh, the title: I'm definitely going for a second half win in this life. I was raised on Kentucky basketball, went to college at Auburn to learn football and social work, finished grad school at UNC-Chapel Hill, and we're season ticket holders for our local NASL soccer team -- I love a great second-half win even more than a steady lead. Watch me go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment