Saturday, December 31, 2011

Fare thee well, 2011


Not a bad year, all in all.  Not perfect, but I have 2009 as an epic bad year to which all past and future years must be compared, and 2011 was not at all bad.  I even kept some of my resolutions -- but not all; I'll put mine in writing and share away next week.

A poem by a great favorite to end the year:


Inventory


 
 Four be the things I am wiser to know:
Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.

Four be the things I’d been better without:
Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt.

Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.

Three be the things I shall have till I die:
Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye.


Dorothy Parker


I wish you all the best -- and sufficient champagne-- going into an exciting New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I love Ms. Parker so much - thanks for this! Happy New Year to you : >

    ReplyDelete